Tuesday, May 10, 2011

04/09, 12/09, 10/10 and 05/11 - crossroads, critical timing and thanks to Monica and Karen and many more...

I believe I could have made a career out of just what I was finding in the Yarden while living at Monica's -- her garden magic gave me plenty of material. Being and thriving there was much of the impetus for where what and who I am now and shall be. I am ever grateful I landed on Seidenberg Avenue at the moment I did.
Then time came to move on and that timing was perfection -- I was able to move into Karen's guest house in Old Town, introduced to the galleries in the upper end of Duval, and Dan Cocco in particular, who viewed my work and invited me to exhibit in his and Jim Salem's gallery -- my run there was short but satisfying, such a beautiful space to show; 
and then Karen introduced me to Onett Johnson, who runs Sippin' Internet Cafe -- those five pieces are hanging in his cafe now -- she wrangled his attention to my work with her wonderful eccentricities and more important a chocolate bar laced with chili peppers -- good thing Onett liked my images -- otherwise my frail artist's heart... -- Onett also allowed me to stock 12 x 12 prints for sale -- they're not exactly moving like a freight train, but they're there and people are seeing them. (I wonder who they are?) 
Around the same time I started going to Sippin's Sunday Mic Night, getting on stage, tentatively playing one string, bluesy longings [I had only recently been reacquainting nightly with my 33 year old Yamaha L10-A in my front porch living room garden], reading some poetic observations and singing an occasional song, a cappella to be sure - it was enjoyable and a pleasure to meet and hear and collaborate with local musicians. The Sunday Night thing is in hiatus for the season. In the meantime I am faithful with my attention to playing every night in my f.p.l.r.g. and suspect I may be making progress. One string at a time. ["follow the monochord"]
I have fallen into a horn of plenty here in Key West - right place, right time, right on. Lucky me, I say.
Yesterday, after a year of being down, I resurrected  the website that I began shortly after my mother Ruthie died. I'd taken to the road with camera, laptop with mobile internet access and only what fit in my 2004 Kia hatchback. I eventually headed out west only to be drawn back to Florida after six months, to this island of rich color and mystery and risks worth taking.